Forward Care Packages to:

PCV Monique M. Green
Apartado 98-5200
Nicoya, Guanacaste
Costa Rica

Monday, July 5, 2010

Día de la Independencia y un baile, of course!

July 4, 2010
Día de la Independencia y un baile, of course!
Happy Independence DAY!!!!!!!! It is my first Independence Day celebrated away from my country and will not be the last. I could have gone to an event hosted by The American Embassy in Costa Rica to celebrate like the norteamericana that I am, but decided otherwise. Instead, I spent the day in Santa Cruz, visiting a volunteer. We along with another PCV and her host sisters went to a Disco Automóvil (a dance). It was exhilarating experience. I heard a mix of reggaton, reggae, typical Spanish music. I danced meringue, salsa, bachata, the Costa Rican swing, and a host of other dances. I’ve never taken classes; I have just observed a few folks and repeated the moves. I am sure I was not as suave as the others, but I couldn’t help but to move the beat was calling me. There was, also, a band of youths, dressed in colorful costumes dancing, singing, and playing the drums to this beautiful Caribbean style rhythm. Everyone was really moving. It was suppose to end at 5 am, but we called it quits around 1:30 am. I am not sure what is up, but I was extremely tired. I’ve gone to other dances with my host sister and have been able to stay up later, but yesterday I was exhausting and although I had fun I was falling asleep in the disco.
How horrible! Maybe the overstimulation drained the little energy I had left. Also, I was involuntary dragged into impromptu activities taking place in her community. She works with this group of women Artisans to improve their business practices and techniques. From what I’ve observed, the apparent issues is that within a 1 block radius there were at least 6, if not more, Artisans competing in a hidden area where there is no demand. Of the six or so, only two have contracts with Tour company, and their group is not one of them. We’ve discussed that they ought to focus on what the strength and weaknesses of the others and try to set themselves apart. They are off to a good start because they are the only group of Artisans’ that sell food. Perhaps if they did interactive demonstrations to a group of tourist, as well as build relationships with Tour Companies there would be a demand for their art. Vamos a ver. The Artisan’s group was also selling arroz con leche and making home deliveries within the community to raise money. We not only ate the delicious and rich rice dessert, we were making deliveries and selling them to passing tourist and in the humid heat , which I am still not accustomed to. We met some North Americans, studying abroad , who decided after reading a Costa Rica tour book to visit Guatil. So we also, hung out with them and they’ve participated in our activities. I think we completed Goals 2 & 3 (Interchanging cultural experiences).
I called an Out of Community (OOC), so that I could step outside of my reality and observe that of another volunteer. It was what I really needed, I was beginning to feel unmotivated, disorganized, and distressed by the lack of ambition within the past few weeks. As most schools were preparing for the school winter break (July 5- 19) and last minute exams, I’ve been less needed and it became apparent they were too busy to be involved in my CAT (community diagnostic). Meeting after meeting was being cancelled. I get it, around break seasons; just find other preoccupations, ya lo sé. So, I will!!!!!! Tired. It is 8:09 Central Time, but I am going to watch La Flor del Desierto before I go to sleep or until I fall the sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment